What an evening! Mark Cuban got fined $250,000, Dwyane Wade lived up to the Michael Corleone analogy Shaq dropped a few months ago (where Kobe Bryant is Sonny and Penny Hardaway is Fredo), the White Sox hammered in 20 runs on the Cardinals, and Ozzie Guillen turned a new rookie into a sacrificial lamb in yet another beanball war. On top of that, there was such a plethora of fantastic news that I just had to post some more links for today:
1) Guillen Has Choice Words for Mariotti (Chicago Tribune) – How those in professional sports feel about Jay Mariotti.
2) Jay the Joke – How all of the rest of us feel about Jay Mariotti (actually, Ozzie summed it up pretty well above, but the detail on this blog is a public service to society as a whole).
3) YWML Suddenly Huge With 13-Year-Olds (Deadspin) – Frequent Deadspin readers will understand why this is such a ridiculously hilarious development. For those that need a refresher course, just consult your friendly Wikipedia.
4) Nine Lives, Still Intact (Hartford Courant) – The life of Lewis the Cat was spared by a Connecticut judge yesterday, although he'll be on house arrest for the rest of eternity. We in the legal field call this "The Martha Stewart Treatment" (celebrities get all of the breaks).
5) Big Ten Creates Another Revenue Channel (The Wizard of Odds) – All Big Ten, all the time. You had me at hello.
6) Career Suicide (Siberia, Minnesota) – There are some things that you see and you can't unsee them.
2 thoughts on “Land-o-Links – 6/21/2006”
I’m a die hard Cubs fan but you gotta love Ozzie’s bashing of Mariotti. That guy is such a tool shed! What do you think the Cubs should do about Wood now. I say get rid of him and focus on fixing the rotation. I really enjoy reading your blog. It is extremely entertaining. I am adding you to my blogroll. And, I would really appreciate it if you would add me to yours.
Charlie, thanks for the compliment. I’m a huge fantasy football guy, so I’ll definitely be checking out your site often.
It would be great for the Cubs to get rid of Wood, but it’s going to be tough to get any value out of him. He’s been damaged goods for so long that other teams aren’t going to offer much – it’s like trying to sell off a stock when its value is at a rock bottom price. They should have made a move to shore up their rotation back in the winter. It’s incredulous to me that they still believe in a healthy Prior/Wood combo (Sasquatch will pitch for the Cubs before both of those guys are healthy at the same time).